This position is located in the Financial Integration and Controlling Team (FICO), Solution Architecture of the ERP Solution Division (ERPSD) in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC) in New York. The Associate Financial Information Systems Officer will report to an Information Systems Officer.
Umoja is a continuous organizational transformation project, enabling high-quality, and cost effective service delivery for evolving United Nations mandates, anywhere in the world. By updating skills, harmonizing practices and applying global technology, Umoja maximizes productivity of the UN's human, financial and material resources.
Umoja transcends organizational, geographical and functional barriers, fostering a culture of transparency, accountability, empowerment, sharing and unity across the United Nations. For more information on Umoja visit: http://umoja.un.org
The scope of the position includes business analysis, performance evaluation and the related technical assessment work required for the implementation of the SAP Finance workstream process to maintain and develop the Umoja Financial information solution in respect of the existing functionality, work stream and processes as well as for new functionality coming up with the design, build and roll out as well as subsequent stabilization of the project's new phase from 2020 onwards.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Financial Information Systems Officer is responsible for the following duties:
1. Assist in the ongoing EVALUATION of the wider suite of Finance processes of the Umoja solution for Continuous Improvement purposes, such as, inter alia, in respect of Financial Accounting, Treasury and Payments operations, Asset accounting, Inventory, Procurement processes, Real Estate, Grants management, Funds managements, etc., with the related consideration of Master Data (including Material Master for procurement/supply chain) as well as general financial planning and reporting functionalities in said respects.
2. Conduct analysis of business requirements and workflows in order to assist in the specific planning and development of process RE-ENGINEERING with the related DESIGN change documentation for the ongoing enrichment and optimisation of the wider suite of Financial processes across the Umoja solution, as indicated point 1 above. The scope of work also includes supporting the various phases in the planning and testing life-cycle, and subsequent migration through the development cycle, as well as support to the deployment process.
3. Assist with day-to-day PRODUCTION support services concerning Umoja's Finance processes in support of various financial operations across the ERP's FICO team, resolving them in a timely and effective manner.
4. Assist in the DATA analytics for said suite of process workstreams across the Umoja solution so as to enable effective reporting as well as direct the development of improved REPORTING capabilities, including the determination and design of reusable standard reports based upon consolidated business demands, including the consideration of appropriate including using appropriate tools [SQL, databases and applications].
5. Assist in the ongoing implementation of AUDIT evaluations in respect of the wider suite of Finance processes of the Umoja solution, including finance integration-related components. Said analysis would include performance optimisation options with the related re-engineering of workflow and/or design, taking into account the GA mandate for minimal customization of the SAP software as well as the requirements to ensure optimal technical integration by application of the relevant SAP standard.
Professionalism: Knowledge of systems analysis and design techniques, database design, storage and internal systems. Knowledge of Finance, along with IT expertise. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in finance, business administration, information technology or related field is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certification as a Chartered Accountant, Public Accountant or equivalent is desirable.
A minimum of two years of experience in finance, accounting, budget or business administration, information systems management or related area is required.
Experience with complex budgetary, finance and accounting operations is required.
Experience in analysis, evaluation and operation or development of finance processes in an ERP system is required.
Experience in audit and systemic evaluation of financial systemic solutions is desirable.
Experience in report writing using different tools [Crystal Reports, Business Objects] is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
This position is financed by Umoja funding. Extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval.
At the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the recruitment and employment of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity, with due regard to geographic diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Pursuant to section 7.11 of ST/AI/2012/2/Rev.1, candidates recruited through the young professionals programme who have not served for a minimum of two years in the position of their initial assignment are not eligible to apply to this position.